2012 IES Commendation Award Winner by NDYLIGHT
Built between 1912 and 1915, Princes Pier was the third major pier constructed at Port Melbourne. Together with the adjacent Station Pier, it served as a major passenger and cargo terminal in the Port of Melbourne for much of the twentieth century until its closure in 1989.
Restored and modified to allow safe public access, Princes Pier reopened as a public space in December 2011. Princes Pier is included in the Victorian Heritage Register as a site of historical and architectural significance to the State of Victoria. It is one of Melbourne’s most important waterfront locations, playing a key role in Australia’s wartime and multicultural history by being:
- the departure point for Australian troops during the First and Second World Wars
- the arrival point for American troops during the Second World War
- the first landing in Australia for thousands of post-war migrants.
The Victorian Government recognised Princes Pier as an important part of Victoria’s maritime history and committed $34 million to its restoration. The government’s allocation of $20 million in the 2009-10 Budget, in addition to the $14 million previously committed, delivered the final stages of the Princes Pier restoration and secured the future of this historic landmark.
The Princes Pier restoration project has received the following honours:
- the Outdoor Timber – Stand Alone Structures Award from the 2012 Australian Timber Design Awards
- the Project Manager of the Year Award for Andrew McKinley for the Princes Pier restoration project, from the 2012 Project Management Achievement Awards – Australian Institute of Project Management Victorian Chapter.
- a commendation at the 2012 IES: The Lighting Society ANZ Excellence Awards – NDYLIGHT